The best way to travel in Mumbai is the Mumbai Local Trains , the roads can suffer from worse traffic jams while the local train most of the time saves time and money, In fact even the rich in Mumbai travel by local train. It’s not very tough to know and master the local trains of Mumbai. The Mumbai local train stations and the interstate train stations are not same. The local platform at train stations such as Chattrapati Shivaji terminal and Mumbai central are discreet while the long haul train alight at altogether different train platforms. At these stations do confirm from the inquiry about the local platforms.
How to buy Tickets Mumbai Locals?
Usually the local train tickets are bought manually from the ticket window though now at few large stations the computerized ticket vending machines are also operational, the local window may seem to have a large queue but these windows serve fast and the large queue doesn’t takes time to be served. The ticket price starts from Rs. 5 for II second general class while for 1st class it is 50 rs and 65 for Ac first class.
Know about Mumbai City-
Mumbai local lines and Trains
The Mumbai local slow trains are those passenger trains which halt at all the stations and are designated as “slow”, Right in front or the rear of the train the letter “s” denotes the slow local.
The fast local trains are those local trains which only stop at major train stations. They are denoted by letter “F” at the front and rear.
There are three major lines and routes of the Mumbai local Trains:-
- Harbor line;- This line has only slow local trains which stop at all stations starting from CST terminal the harbor line ends at Panvel station of Navi Mumbai. The harbor line also connects and serves the Navi Mumbai. The harbor line serves the Navi Mumbai stations such as belapur, Nerul, Vashi etc and connects them with the south Mumbai. The train takes around an hour and a half to travel between CST and Panvel station.
- Western Line: – This is the largest line or route of the Mumbai local from church gate to Dahanu road it is around 125 kms in length. On this route both fast and slow local trains ply. It’s probably the most crowded of all the Mumbai local routes. As the daily commuters travel by the local train to reach their destination located mostly in south business district of Mumbai daily. The holidays are less crowded on the western line. If you want to beat the crowd then you should buy a !st class ticket which is a bit expensive but this class has much lesser crowds. The hum drum and cacophony of the second class is also absent to a large extent in the first class coaches, major stations on this line are Mumbai Central, Dadar, Bandra, Andheri, Borivili etc. Use this line to reach the Sahara airport.
- The central line: – Originates from the CST Chattrapati Shivaji Terminal and culminates at the kasara railway station which is a picturesque hill station on the Western Ghats situated at a high altitude. On this route both the fast and slow local trains ply. This is also a very important route of Mumbai local which connects very important business locations of down town Mumbai with the suburban train stations, Thousands of people use this route every day to reach their offices. The total length is approximate around 70 kms and the fast local takes around an hour to traverse this distance, the main stations on the route are Mumbai CST, Dadar, Kalyan Etc.
Book at affordable Price –
- Mumbai Tour Packages
- Taj Mahal Tour
- India Tour Packages
- Golden Triangle Tour with Mumbai
- Amritsar Tour Packages
- Golden Triangle Tour With Amritsar
- Varanasi Tour Packages
- Delhi Tour Packages
- Golden Triangle Tour Packages
- One Day Trip from Delhi
Mumbai Local Trains connectivity
The Mumbai local train network is extensive and if you get used you can travel to every nook and corner of the Mumbai city using the local train network. The famous tourist destinations of Mumbai like the Gateway, Marine drive, CST, Mahalaxmi, Haji Ali are all very well connected by the Mumbai local train network.
How to Find your Train?
The local train platforms have LED signage which announces the destination of the coming local train, it also fore tells the category of the coach to step in front of it, these categories are women coach, first class coach, second class , second class handicap, few of the trains also have an Ac coach facility the first class is non air conditioned but the coaches provide better comfort as the seats are cushioned while the second class coaches have normal wooden seats with more room for the standing passengers. All the standing passengers have the hand straps to hold while the train moves.
The front and rear end of the train also has the category (fast/local) and the destination printed on the glow sign board.
Tips for Travel in the Mumbai Locals
- Do remember to carry your ticket at hand as most of the local train stations have moving ticket checkers, never ever move on to the station without a ticket..
- If travelling by second class do take good care of your belongings specially your wallet as there might be unscrupulous elements waiting for an easy prey.
- The local trains are more crowded during the office time so avoid the early morning and late evening time while you travel by the local train, The holiday specially Sunday is the least crowded day.
- Remember never try to board/ deboard a moving local train as these trains accelerate very fast and your endeavor may result in fatal accident.
- To avoid the crowd travel by first class if you are on a tour of Mumbai city.
6. Mumbai local train stations have vends for refreshment, these vends sell bottle water, cold drinks, chips, wafers, biscuits, light snacks such as Vada pao, samosa etc.
- If you are new to Mumbai then the best way to tackle crowd while boarding/ de boarding is to ride the human wave, go with the crowds while they board and go with the crowd while they de board.
- Do remember not to board the ladies compartment as it can result in penalty as well as can result in embarrassing situation.
Read Related Blogs: –
- Indian Trains For Delhi Agra Mathura
- IRCTC Login Train Ticket Booking & Updates
- Agra Petha History, Recipe and Famous Stores
- Get to know about Taj Mahal Tickets Online
Post Covid Journey Rules for Mumbai Local Trains
For almost 4 months there was a complete halt of the Mumbai Local Trains in the purview of the second phase of Covid -19 Pandemic. Recently the Maharastra Government decided to open the local trains for those passengers who are having the two prescribed doses of the Vaccines. A person should have taken the 2nd dose at least 14 days before. This service was resume from 15th of August.